Well as no one has made the thread about this band I thought I would.
I know there are a few members that like this band but I thought I'd inform everyone that hasn't heard of them (shame on you).
Billy Talent are an awesome band that I was introduced to by a forum member here of the same name (he has now changed back to Ten In 2010). He recommeneded them and I listened to a few songs, decided that I liked them and bought the self titled album, Billy Talent.
The band themselves are signed to Atlantic Records. And made up of the following members:
Vocals - Benjamin Kowalewicz
Guitar - Ian D'Sa
Bass - Jon Gallant
Drums - Aaron Solowoniuk
Their new album title Billy Talent II is due out on 26th June in the UK/Ireland and 27th June in the US. yes thats right the UK are getting it a day earlier than anywhere else.
For anyone that hasn't heard of them I suggest you go through the track listings on the sublime Burnout Revenge. Their song Red Flag (a different version to the one on the upcoming album) is featured in this soundtrack and I realised that I was a Billy Talent fan before I was a Billy Talent fan (if you see what I mean).
I highly recommend that everyone check them out as they have a unique sound that I haven't heard anywhere else. I think this is something that has contributed to the rate at which people have been latching onto them as fans.
A few of there songs can be heard on their myspace here .
Official Site: http://www.billytalent.com
Official Forums: http://phorum.nettwerk.com/billy_talent/ubbthreads.php
Atlantic Records Billy Talent Forums: http://boards.atlanticrecords.com/artists/billytalent
My fan art made as a sig:
2003 Casby Awards
* Won: Favorite New Single (for "Try Honesty")
2004 Juno Awards
* Won: Best New Group Of The Year
* Other Nominations: Rock Album Of The Year, Single Of The Year (for "Try Honesty")
2004 MuchMusic Video Awards
* Won: Best Rock Video (for "Try Honesty")
* Other Nominations: People's Choice-Favourite Canadian Group, Best Video, Best Cinematography, Best Post-Production, Best Director (all for "Try Honesty")
2004 Casby Awards
* Won: Favorite New Single (for "River Below"), Favorite New Album
2005 Juno Awards
* Won: Group Of The Year, Best Album Of The Year (for "Billy Talent")
* Other Nominations: Single Of The Year (for "River Below")
2005 MuchMusic Video Awards
* Won: Best Video (for "River Below"), Best Rock Video (for "River Below")
* Other Nominations: People's Choice-Favourite Canadian Group, Best Video (for "Nothing To Lose"), Best Rock Video (for "Nothing To Lose"), Best Post-Production (for "River Below"), Best Cinematography (for "Nothing To Lose"), Best Director (for "River Below"), Best Director (for "Nothing To Lose")
2006 MuchMusic Video Awards
* Nominations: Best Video (for "Devil in a Midnight Mass"), Best Director (for "Devil in a Midnight Mass"), Best Post-Production (for "Devil in a Midnight Mass"), Best Cinematography (for "Devil in a Midnight Mass"), Best Rock Video (for "Devil in a Midnight Mass")
I just found out on a little dig around the internet that Billy Talent had a prior album to the self titled album of 2003. In 1998 there was this band doing the rounds known as Pezz that released an album called Watoosh! It turns out that this watoosh is none other than the Billy Talent that we know today. The name change came about as there was already a band named Pezz from the early nineties that threatened to sue them if they didnt change. I am in the process of trying to locate this hidden gem of an album to compare to the Billy Talent of today but for the time being I'm having to resort to piracy. As yet its proving hard to find.
Edit: I have found a site selling Watoosh! by Pezz but it's US only so if someone wants to buy it and let us all know if its worth looking for/getting please feel free. Btw for those that don't know I'm in the UK that's why I can't get it myself.
Edit2: I have now heard a few songs from Pezz and can safely say its a little different to Billy Talent but still well worth a listen if you can find it.
Another dig has found that there is an unreleased track by Billy Talent named Beach Balls. The track can be found with all your usual illegal methods. Happy searching!
Edit: Beach balls is also sometimes listed as being by Pezz as well as Billy Talent. Might help you find it ;)
Last update today... Maybe
Billy Talent also have a DVD out entitled Scandalous Travelers. Its a behind the scenes following the band for 2 years touring and writing the album ending with Edgefest 2004 when they played in front of 16,000 fans. Sort of a zero to hero DVD. And its out in the UK so I'll be looking for it later today.