[GUIDE] How to Install/Uninstall .deb Files
You can install apps via .deb files if you jailbreaked and SSH your iPhone.
If you are looking for an easy guide for How to Access iPhone via SSH on Windows Mac Check this one:
So now you have a jailbreaked iPhone with SSH installed and you have the access of the file system of your iPhone. If you satisfies the above condition you can follow the universal process of installing and uninstalling .deb to your iPhone 2G, 3G or 3GS. There are two methods to install .deb file but i always prefer to use method 1 though it is long than method 2 but it is more reliable.
The SSH (Secure Shell literally) is a network protocol that allows you to establish a remote connection between two or more hosts. This protocol will allow us to access the file system of the iPhone / iPod Touch when you ran the Jailbreak. We may, thus, transfer files and content at will, in any folder. once you’ve got ssh installed on your iPhone and active, you can access your iPhone from a shell on your Mac. You can send and retrieve files using scp or sftp. And you can use the compilation toolchain to build other Unix utils or even your own software. This how to guide can be used for any iPhone 2G, 3G or 3GS and iPod Touch 1G and 2G. In order to access your iPhone file system you need the following.
- An iPhone / iPod Touch Jailbroken
- A network available WiFi or USB cable
- OpenSSH installed on the device, can be found through Cydia
- A program to connect to our device: For Windows environments recommend WinSCP, while the Mac is more popular Cyberduck
There is a little difference in procedure for Mac OS X and Windows. In the following we used Windows platform so screenshots are of WinSCP. Once you clears all terms given above than we can move forward.
- Note of your iPhone’s IP address from Settings > WiFi and tap on the blue arrow to the right of the name of your home network. In the next screen you can find the IP Address of your network.
Hostname or Server =
- Now Launch your SSH program in this example we have used WinSCP. WinSCP will redirect you to a new ‘Session’ screen while in Cyberduck, you’ll need to choose ‘Open New Connection’. In the next screen you need to fill the following information
Type your iPhone’s IP address in this field
Type ‘root’ (without the quotes) in this field
Type ‘alpine’ in this field (without the quotes) or whatever you have
File Protocol =
Should be SCP on WinSCP and SFTP on Cyberduck
- Fill the information and hit the login button and you will see a confirmation message asking if you will accept key exchange / connection with the device with the iPhone’s address.Voila you have done it now you gains the full access of your iPhone file system
How to Install (Method 1) :
- SSH into iPhone – using iPhoneTunnel if your on Windows , Cyberduck if your on MacOS.
- Copy .deb file into tmp folder
- Quit Cydia if its running
- Hit Ctrl+T in WinSCP and run the following command : dpkg -i /tmp/name.deb ( just to make sure : you replace name.deb with the actual name of the deb file )
- After installation, you can delete the .deb file
How to Install (Method 2) :
- SSH your iPhone and go to /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall Copy the .deb file there and that just reboot your device. If Autoinstall folder is not lying in /var/root/Media/Cydia then you can create urself
How to Uninstall :
To uninstall the .deb file simply uninstall the app you installed via .deb file. You can use Cydia, Icy or Cydelete to uninstall from sprinboard too.