Intro: Well many people have seen the Wipeout Modding Thread and are interested in how to mod savedata, so I have decided to create this tutorial to help people out.
Latest Update: Freeplay has released tools to edit Wipeout and de/encrypt GTA. Check them out here: http://freeplay.unaligned.org/crypt/
The GTA requires firmware 2.00 and eLoader in order to work. For Wipeout that is intended for 2.0 as well, as you can just decrpyt Wipeout using Shine's Savedata Tool on 1.5.
- PSP 1.0-1.5 PSP to edit, Any firmware to use the modded saves
- Shine's Savedata Tool
- A Hex Editor for the PC
- A savedata file for the game you want
- The game who's savedata file you are editing for testing purposes
To perform this example you will need a copy of Wipeout US, a 1.0-1.5 PSP, and a wipeout savedata file, as well as the other requirements mentioned above
OK this tutorial will simply teach you how to replace some records in the Wipeout Pure savedata file. This is a basic savedata edit, but is just meant to show you the basics. I can't do everything for you, you know
1. Install Shine's savedatatools in the typical fashion for installing homebrew on your firmware.
2. Create a file called savename.txt on the root of your PSP memory stick. This file should contain 3 basic lines of code:. First I will display the basic format, and then the code for wipeout: pure.
The first nine characters of the savedata folder of the game you are editing
The rest of the characters of the savedata folder of the game you are editing
The name of the savedata file you are editing
3. Ok, now exit your USB connection and launch Shine's savedata tools.
4. Once Shine's savedata tools is start press X and it should save a decrypted copy of the save files on the root of your memory stick, and then the program will exit out.
5. Start a USB connection.
6. Open up the data.bin in a hex editor of your choice.
7. You will see a lot of data and settings and you can replace what you want.
8. For this example, we will replace all examples of the Piranha in records and stuff like that.
9. Use the replace all function of your hex editor to replace Piranha with Yo Mama. You can replace Yo Mama with anything you want 7 characters or less. If what you want to use is less than 7 characters use spaces for the remaining characters. Be sure to not go over 7 chracters(for the Piranha anyways, it depends on the ship you are editing for the actual size).
10. Save the data, and boot up Shine's savedata tools.
11. Press O and it will fix up your savedata.
12. Boot up Wipeout and enjoy your first mod. Go to records, and look for anywherem, where the name Piranha should be, and it should say Yo Mama(or whatever name you chose.)
Conclusion: Now get making some more mods, maybe you will discover something awesome! I hope you enjoyed my tut, more will be added in the future