*Official* 2.5/2.6 Downgrader FAQ [Updated: 7/02/06]
- This is a WORKING downgrader.
- Auto detects the firmware version (fix done by Yoshihiro), only one eboot is now required for both 2.50 and 2.60 firmwares.
- AC adaptor checks, you now need the AC to be plugged in.
- Logs Removed, you can now downgrade from a 32MB memory stick.
- This will not work on the TA-082 hardware, so don't even bother to try it if you have that hardware. This final version will brick a PSP with TA-082 hardware, so please, do not try. To tell if you have the TA-082 check this picture: http://pspupdates.qj.net/uploads/art.../ta82spot1.jpg
- It has proven to work with factory installed 2.50/2.60 firmwares. This warning removed from the readme.
- This software requires that someone with a 1.50 runs a little program and send you the output so you can init the downdate process. (For legal reasons I/QJ cannot provide those files directly, that's why this is needed).
The 1.50 program is TOTALLY safe, it only dumps the flash of a 1.50 user and it also extracts some special prx's found in the 1.50 updater.
- For those of you wondering why your UMDs say "Disc cannot be read," take your battery out of your PSP (for up to 5 minutes) and then put it back in your PSP. Your UMDs will then work! Thanks to ZFB8 and Pranav for the information. Pranav has also successfully downgraded his 2.60 White PSP (originally 2.50 JP) to 1.50, upgraded to 2.00, and back down to 1.50 sucessfully as well.
From the readme:
Instruction for the 1.50 user
1) Copy the folders downhelper and downhelper% from the folder 1.50 HELPER folder to /PSP/GAME/ in your memstick.
2) Obtain the 1.50 updater and put it in /PSP/GAME/UPDATE in your memstick.
3) Initiate the downhelper program. It will dump your flash and some files from the updater eboot to the memstick.
4) After that, the program will exit. You can now delete the updater from /PSP/GAME/UPDATE
5) You'll notice that you have a new folder in the root of your memstick called "DOWNDATER". That's the folder you'll have to send to a 2.50/2.60 to let him test the downgrade.
Upon either completion or finding this folder through your own means, you should be left with a DOWNDATER folder which includes the below.
This folder should contain two folders and two files:
- DOWNDATER\DUMP\ (containing the 1.50 dump)
- DOWNDATER\PRX\ (containing the 1.50 UPDATE .PRX files)
There should be 220 files total when checking the properties and it should be ~13 MB in size.
Do not ask for this folder/file on these forums as it is a violation of our Piracy Policy.
Instructions for the 2.50/2.60 user
1) Copy the folder the DOWNDATER FINAL AUTO EBOOT if you have 2.50
or if you have 2.60 to /PSP/GAME/ in your memory stick.
2) Wait someone with 1.50 to pass you a folder called DOWNDATER and copy it to the root of your memstick.
3) Initiate GTA and the eLoader.
4) In the eLoader menu, choose the downdater test. WARNING: The program won't output any display and any warnings, it will initiate the downgrader process immediately.
5) You'll see the your memstick flashing. That means that your psp is being flashed from the memstick. You won't see any type of output in the screen. (This is for safety.) When the memstick finishes of flashing, wait until the PSP restarts. It should do this automatically.
6) That's all. If all went right, you'll have 1.50. If it went less good, you'll still have 2.50/2.60. If all went wrong, you'll have a bricked psp. (Except in the case you have the modchip.) Remember that you have accepted that risk.
This program performs the following operations.
- It loads the ipl_update.prx and lflash_fatfmt.prx from the 1.50 updater.
- It performs a logical format of the flash0 partition using the function
sceLflashFatfmtStartFatfm t found in the lflash_fatfmt.prx
- It writes a dump of the 1.50 flash0 to the flash0.
- It writes the Initial Program Loader (Ipl) using the functions sceIplUpdateClearIpl and sceIplUpdateSetIpl from the ipl_update.prx module.
- The ipl is embedded in that module.
1) The restart function - Originally it was intended for a restart, but it did nothing, making possible that if some premature error before doing the real thing failed to continue the real downdate process. Now it will cause an on-purpose exception (this only will happen either at the begginiing before the unsecure code begins or at the end, when all is finished)
2) Now I've re-assigned the flash device after the logical format. Probably more secure.
Version: 0.3 (fixes by yoshihiro)
1) There was a very critical error: i forgot mkdirs!! It was IMPOSSIBLE that it could work in this manner.
2) Some more security checks, added check to test if AC adaptor is plugged.
3) Added display to the code.
Version: 0.4 (Dark_AleX)
1) Removed display: pspDebugScreen functions can freeze the psp 2.XX in kernel mode in any random moment.
2) A little bugfix. Tthe first file couldn't be correctly created because the first directory was not created.
3) Removed the check for the AC adaptor. It will be added later again.
Version: Final_Auto (fix done by Yoshihiro)
1) AC adaptor checks, you now need the AC to be plugged in.
2) Logs Removed, you can now downgrade from a 32MB memory stick.
Please note that all neccessary files, minus the 1.50 firmware dump for the most current version can be found in the attachment to this post: DOWNDATER_FINAL_AUTO.rar
Final package is also linked here from the QJ download section: Final Downdater Auto
PASSWORD : I_Use_It_At_My_Own_Risk
Also be reminded that asking for the 1.50 firmware dump is a violation of this sites Piracy Policy