ZodTTD has released a new version of his Game Boy and Game Boy Advance emulator for the Apple iPhone and iPod Touch. The vastly improved version of gpSPhone as the developer noted brings extremely smooth playback along with increased performance and pretty awesome sound.
Other new features of the release include:
- Improved performance due to better thread scheduling.
- Improved performance due to the addition of the use of the R9 register.
- Very smooth playback with a refresh rate of 60 FPS.
- No more slowdown from multitouch.
- Added a nice cheat menu and brought back cheats. Add a rom-name .cht file compatible with gpSP where rom-name is the name of the ROM minus the extension. Place the .cht file in the same location as the ROM (/var/mobile/Media/ROMs/GBA).
- Improved menu system. Along with the cheat menu is in-game saves without the need to restart the game!
- New controller skin feature and new artwork by k.nitsua added. Now the last variable of the controller skin txt file controls the opacity. With 0-100, 0 being transparent, and 100 being opaque, you can now have opaque/solid landscape skins. The old landscape skin is still in place as Skin #2 with Scaling turned on.
- A bunch of minor bug fixes.
ZodTTD also reminds the public that save states from previous public releases of gpSPhone (prior to v5.0.0) are not compatible with this version and most likely never will be again. This is due to the addition of a new save state data element, the use of R9. Battery saves/cart saves will still work fine in v5.0.0. But old save states from pre-v5.0.0 will crash gpSPhone. This version uses iPhone firmware 2.2 or later.