It's been a while I haven't coded anything, the last time I did was for the PSP in LUA. I helped around the Lua community for quite a while before retiring the world of the PSP deving seeing how the scene became. Anyway.
Today I present you my latest piece of software I have put together. I just got an NDS lite and thought it'd be cool, for WiFi playing, to have something less random than the usual people matching. Also, in some games, you are unable to chat, thus, if you enjoy playing with someone you just have to cross your fingers to play back with them without being able to ask for their friend codes. Also, the friend code exchanging websites can be tendious as they are often hard to schedule games and hard over the communication between players.
This is where "WiFi2gether" comes into the game. Programmed for Windows for now (although expect a Linux and MacOSX version in the future), this software allows you to connect to a single network to allow you to share your friend codes but in an organised way. Just like XLink Kai, xbconnect, and the likes, you can create a game room where you can limit the number of players to the people you wish to play with (considering also games limitations) and where you can just acquire friend codes from other players and play with them while chatting in an individual room with them. Better for communication, you can also keep your friends in a friend list and save their friend codes on your account.
Well enough of a big novel book, let's get straight to the point with some screenshots and features. Note that this is the beta version that will soon be released and a closed beta testing (as the server is currently limited in it's capacity, acquiring the new server soon) shall be available pretty soon for interested people.
(Links to the screenshot are provided considering their size and quality and also don't take in consideration the screenshot numbers, I missaved them).
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...reenshot05.png :: Login screen. This is the login screen in which you can see, the interface is quite intuitive and self-explanatory. A little log part for the connection log is also displayed to be able to report bugs with more ease so I can fix them in the upcoming versions.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...reenshot03.png :: Lobby screen. This is the lobby where you meet other players and choose a game to play. On the left side of the screen, you can notice the list of all games available to add friend codes for. From japanese to english titles, you get no problem in filtering the game room list just by double clicking on the title. Also available, a buddy list, the list of the game room availables classified by games and players and the chatroom part.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...reenshot04.png :: Finally for the screenshots, the friend code window. This is where you manage your own friend codes. As you can see, you can also put your friend codes private to avoid sharing them with people you don't want to share them with. In a game room, you will be asked to share your friend code manually if the game room you joined in is one of your private friend codes (and by the way, feel free to add my Tetris DS friend code displayed, haha).
As for the current features for this version:
- Individual account for better security
- Server-side Friend Code list so you don't always have to input them
- A lobby to meet with all WiFi2gether users
- Individual chat rooms (game rooms) for one single game between users
- Possibility to moderate your own game rooms
- Filtering by games
- Intuitive interface
- Connection and Error logs to help in debugging (that's more for me, haha)
- Secure database for friend codes and accounts
- Online help file to help you if you are lost
- Easy and fast access to other DS players without all the randomness
- Private friend codes to avoids sharing them with everyone
- Personal profile allowing everyone to know a bit more about you
As for the upcoming features:
- Better interface (while being intuitive, I think it still sucks)
- Graphical game list
- Manageable game filter list
- Software auto-update (so you don't keep coming on the website all the time to update)
- News and Server Notice window (probably with the auto-update)
- Better server
- Rating/Ranking system (this needs a lot of thinking)
- A user rating system connected to the profile (good to know who hacks and who don't)
- Buddy List (won't be included in the first beta)
- Possibility to have favorite friend codes (unless they are private)
- And more...
There is no release date as of yet because a lot is going on in my life while this is being created (after 7 years of wait, FINALLY, I get in college (believe it or not, in webdesigning for a semester, then theater for 3 years) and there is all the appartment stuff, in other words, hell) but it's to be expected really soon.
Finally, I plan to do an update of this present thread (creating another one would be just a waste) with the announcement of the closed beta session and how you can help with applying. This closed beta session will be really short and it's basically to stress test the servers and maybe locate the bugs that I haven't pin pointed for some reasons.
I sure hope you will enjoy this piece of software as I think will help the WiFi community !