Well, time once again for a look at how the hardware and software sales went down in Japan. You know who's back on top? Here's a hint: it prints pieces of paper that serve as mediums of exchange and generally accepted as forms of payment for goods and services. Or you could just read the title again.
Nintendo's handheld consoles bounced back in Japan for the week of March 16 to March 22, eclipsing the Sony PSP thanks largely to a 158 increase in the number of DSi units sold. Them Japanese folks just really love their DSis, don't they? Must have been because of the DS-exclusive Super Robot Taisen K, which also went straight to the top spot in the software charts.
The DS Lite's lagging at 8,948 units sold, but that still wasn't enough to get it the last spot. That belongs to the PS2, but if we just stick to the newer consoles, then the Xbox 360 takes that place. It looks like the mad rush generated by Resident Evil 5 is wearing down, as the Microsoft console has been showing a decline in sales, dropping to only 5,441 units sold.
Speaking of decline, the PS3 is also suffering a slump, selling a total of 25,435 units. That's a drop of just over 9 . The PSP's still going strong, though, what with a 51 increase in sales leading to a total of 65,765 units sold. Thats 14,416 units behind the combined numbers of the DSi and DS Lite and 5,468 units behind the DSi.
All of these drops and rises didn't seem to affect the Wii too much. The console did get a bit of an increase (almost 1 ), but it pretty much stayed where it was, selling a total of 18,095 units.
Oh, and Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G? It's still in the top ten. In fact, it even went up a slot compared to the last time I wrote about the Media Create charts. Wow. Imagine that. Anyway, here are the numbers for both the hardware and software sales in Japan for the week of March 16 to March 22, 2009:
- DSi: 71,233
- PSP: 65,765
- PS3: 25,435
- Wii: 18,095
- DS Lite: 8,948
- Xbox 360: 5,441
- PS2: 5,067
- [NDS] Super Robot Taisen K (Namco Bandai) - 117,388
- [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2009 (Konami) - 50,324
- [PS2] Amagami (Enterbrain) - 42,490
- [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (Nintendo) - 39,183
- [PS3] Musou Orochi Z (KOEI) - 35,545
- [PS3] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 29,120
- [NDS] Rittai Picross 3D (Nintendo) - 24,172
- [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (PSP the Best) (Capcom) - 22,714
- [WII] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Next (Konami) - 22,496
- [PSP] Shin Sangoku Musou: Multi Raid (KOEI) - 18,678
- Media Create Japanese hardware and software charts: PSP is king of the hardware hill, Resident Evil 5 scores big
- From Enterbrain: Resident Evil 5 dominates Japanese software charts, Monster Hunter STILL there