Echoing what happened in the US, hardware sales took a big hit in Japan during the week starting April 6 and ending April 12. Unlike in the US, though, sales of Microsoft's Xbox 360 actually increased.
The combined sales for Nintendo's DS and DSi handhelds still retained the top spot, but the Sony PSP actually managed to outsell the DSi by moving 40,886 units compared to the DSi's 40,673. The DS Lite was in last place with 6,869 (not counting the PS2).
The Wii ended up in third place, selling only 13,349 units compared to last week's sales of 15,525. The Sony PlayStation 3 dropped down to fourth place with 16,701 units sold.
As I mentioned earlier, the Xbox 360 was the only console - home or handheld - that managed to sell more units this week compared to the last. Xbox 360 sales went up by 2,322 units for a final figure of 10,134 units sold.
On the software side, Capcom's PSP title Basara Battle Heroes debuted in the number one spot with 86,000 units sold. This is probably the reason why the PSP finally eclipsed the DSi in sales this week. The top ten software charts is actually a Sony-centric affair with 3 PSP titles, 2 PS2 titles, and one PS3 game making it into the top ten.
Second place went to another new game: Oboro Muramasa Youtouden for the Wii. The DS game Mario & Luigi RPG 3 dropped down to the third position after spending last week in the number two spot.
And who do we have at number four? The PSP The Best version of Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G. Seriously, guys, this is getting ridiculous. I'm not complaining since I'm a great fan of the series, I'm just really curious: how many copies of a game does a gamer really need?
Translations for the software sales are from NeoGAF member PantherLotus and are rounded up. The hardware sales chart is from ChartGet.com.
- [PSP] BASARA Battle Heroes (Capcom) - 86,000 / NEW
- [WII] Oboro Muramasa Youtouden (Marvelous) - 29,000 / NEW
- [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (Nintendo) - 25,000 / 522,000
- [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (PSP the Best) (Capcom) - 18,000 / 573,000
- [NDS] Pro Yakyuu Famista DS 2009 (Konami) - 17,000 / 44,000
- [PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Senjou no Kizuna Portable (Namco Bandai) - 16,000 / 135,000
- [PS2] Arcana Heart 2 (AQ Interactive) - 11,000 / NEW
- [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2009 (Konami) - 10,000 / 104,000
- [PS3] Musou Orochi Z (KOEI) - 10,000 / 195,000
- [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 9,000 / 3,350,000
- NPD US March 2009 hardware sales show dips across the board
- Media Create Japanese hardware and software sales for 03/16 to 03/22: DSi zooms to top of hardware charts