It's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive !
This doesn't really come as a surprise, but if any of you guys had doubts, time to put a stake through its heart. Call of Duty 7 (which is rumored to be set in Vietnam) is already under development, and yes, it's indeed coming from Treyarch. Call of Duty: World at War senior animator David Kim reveals the following in his LinkedIn profile:
I am currently on my second title as a senior animator in the games industry with Activision / Treyarch on Call Of Duty 7. Previous to that I specialized as a previsualization artist for various productions.
Of course, his use of "Call of Duty 7" here would be a temporary placeholder name for whatever game they're cooking. Quite possibly, CoD7 could drop the whole CoD branding, just like how Infinity Ward took it out of Modern Warfare 2.
As I said, Treyarch doing CoD7 is something we expected. Last year, Activision's CEO said they were going for a "leapfrog strategy" of alternating between Treyarch and Infinity Ward for their CoD franchise. To spell it out for you, here's how it's been going down, starting from CoD4:
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Infinity Ward
- Call of Duty: World at War - Treyarch
- Modern Warfare 2 - Infinity Ward
- Call of Duty 7 - Treyarch
- Infinity Ward confirmed as developers for Call of Duty 6 in 2009
- Activision looking into Vietnam War music; CoD 7 set in Vietnam?