Hey all, making a temp secondary "Forum Changes" thread. This one is to cover any updates in regards to forums performance and changes to that nature.
Now on with the report:
Feb 14 2007
- Changed "default" max threads shown per forum section page to 10 (was 20), You can now however ADJUST this to your liking in your UserCP - Edit Options. http://forums.qj.net/profile.php?do=editoptions
This should also be a nice touch for PSP users, not having to load so much at once on a page. Hopefully this will reduce some bandwitdh useage when 2500+ users are browsing a forum. Since this can be edited to everyones liking, no one is suffering.
- Changed "Preview Thread" text (Where if you hover your mouse over a thread title it would popup with some text from the inside) from 300 to 200. This will result in less loading as well since it doesnt have to load the posts data to preview.
- SEO aide, made it so replying to a thread or post would auto fill in the "title" field, nothing major just something to help SEO and search engines. *This has been disabled now*
- *TRIAL* Trying to see if users like having the sub forums listed up front or not. *Disabled*
- Added Smilies to be useable in quick reply and quick edit now! (Woot!) This will not only save a extra page load to those who click "Reply" because they want to use smilies, but it gives a faster way and access for you all to use them!
- Disabled the minimum char to reply with. Still have to do 1 char at least.. but no longer need min of 5. (Notice, if we catch spammers still for posting stupid less then 5 char replies over and over on a same thread... you know what happens, if this is abused, I raise the min limit again)
- Searches are now on a 40 seconds between searches from 30. (Sorry) also will display a result of 200 hits vs the 300 hits. So be accurate in your searches! Premium users I may do something for you soon. 300k, well you already know there is a bypass option for this. This should help reduce intensive server loads when running a search. Im worried however on things like "PSP" since the forums is flooded with that... its a lot of data for the forums to take on... thus could be causing a load. But hope it isnt due to that you need 4 chars for forums to index it.
- Disabled "Advanced Searches" on "Member List" which means cant search for a user by xfire, AIM, email etc. Anything in their profile. I dont think many people used this at all. If I am wrong, please tell me and Ill reenable. Just one of the few minor things that can help reduce loads since it no longer had to look at all the profile data of a user to find a match. (You can find a user still by username tho)
- Disabled "Currently Active Users" within a forum itself. I mean.. who really needs to know when your inside "PSP Forums" of who else is in that forum with you... so to reduce load since forums wont have to track EACH user who is inside a forum and where... I just disabled it.
- Disabled a little icon that would show up when you searched or browsed a forum. This icon would show up if you were subscribed to a thread. Was just a visual thing when browsing showing a "Checkmark" next to the thread you were subscribed to. (Was designed to easier show people which theads they were subscribed to already..) This however as you know.. you can still see your subscribed threads etc from your UserCP. No need to add extra loads that the forums was doing just to show users a checkmark that they probably didnt notice anyways. (You think "x" amount of users that forum was tracking extra data for just to show a icon if they were subscribed to the thread) If anyone really did use this... to see when browsing the forums themselves.. let me know, but I doubt anyone really did.
- Disabled guests from viewing a users profile. Figured if they wanna know info about someone, they can logon and find out. Otherwise it leaves open more for search bots, lurkers etc to take a load without even logging in... so please login, we like knowing who is here. =D
- Changed "Cached" posts from 60 days to 20, this was orig designed to make loading posts faster by pulling from a cache file. However with the traffic now.. having 60 days worth of extra HD space files to pull from is not needed. Past 20 days should be fine for quicker post reading.
- Testing a modification that should disable "Search" if the forums loads hits a certain limit automatically. Its set pretty high, at 15.00 of a load.. which since past days we seen 20+. Hopefully this works if its needed.
- Doubleposting will no longer "Bump" a thread within 24 hours, You can double post still, will merge into 1 post, but just wont bump. Mods can manually bump and 300ks I think have a store option to bump.