So what the hell exactly is it? From what I've read, there's no definite answer. My cousin was playing COD5 when the PS3 froze up on him. Now other bluray games won't play o-o...as I've read on several other places, DVD's and PS1/2 games play fine but the bluray just went kaput...
What can I do?
I did some research and these are the causes:
1. it's a faulty sector on the internal hard drive
2. it's due to a faulty installation of software/firmware.
3. busted blu-ray diode
You can try fixing it by reseting the system. If you have firmware 2.50, recovery mode is available, just follow these steps:
How to Access Playstation Recovery Menu
1. Turn off Playstation®3.
2. Hold The power button down; The system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.
If the problem is the blu-ray diode, better ask your cousin to send it to Sony for repair
Yep, exactly your Blu-ray diode probably stopped working and that explains why your DVDs are still working.