PS3 Custom Firmware (CFW) Validator Application v2.0 Released
this weekend PlayStation 3 homebrew developers Grimm and Berion have updated their PS3 Custom Firmware (CFW) Validator Application to v2.0 which includes German and Polish languages alongside database updates.
Download: PS3 Custom Firmware (CFW) Validator Application v2.0 / .NET Framework 4 (Required)
From the included ReadMe File, to quote: Hello. Custom Firmware Validator is a program designed mainly for verifying downloaded or manually patched firmwares for PS3. This application compares checksums from the database with those which are being calculated on the currently open file.
If at least one would match, the following things will appear: the name of the firmware and its short description, the option to show the list of additional functions and the option to visit the author's web page, also one could copy a file onto USB with the proper directory structure and its name (PS3, PSP, PSV).
Databases are external, written in the standard XML and UTF-8 coded, so everyone can edit them and propose any possible corrections, what we encourage you to do.
We prepared three different bases for the program (the one for PS3 is loaded by default, but one can choose others from the option menu):
- The first one for PS3 (currently with all CFW/OFW (*.pup) and upadate packages *.pkg for Rebug and TB dongle).
- The other ones function as examples and need to be completed.
Handy keyboard shortcuts:
- CTRL+O - open file
- CTRL+E - exit CFV
- CTRL+I - fw information popup
- CTRL+U - transfer file to USB device
- CTRL+W - go to authors web page
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: I still don't understand what this program do!
A: In other simpler words, using CFV:
- You cannot flash your console by fake firmware. In first days of CFW on PS3, many linked higher OFW as CFW and some people have been fooled by them, ending with non software downgradable OFW. This application protect you from such situation.
- You cannot misleading one CFW with another, modified by someone else than author of this CFW. This application gave you confidence that scaned CFW is the release CFW, not modified by someone else.
- You can transfer OFW/CFW directly to your USB device. It even detect if file system is FAT32 but not only! Also detect if this FAT32 is on MBR (which is only one support by PS3) or GPT and other not supported table format.
- You can go to authors webpage if it's linked in database.
- You can take more user friendly information about firmware (like properly working Trophy system, Cinavia DRM patched, protecting from ACT.DAT deleting etc.).
Q: How many fw CFV recognize?
A: Custom Firmware Validator support all CEX OFWs, all leaked SEX, DEX, DECR and all known to us CFWs (more than 50). This give us support for ~200 firmwares!
Q: Do you plan to make databases updates?
A: Yes, but only the one for PS3. In this aspect we count on the community's involvement. ;]
Q: Do you plan to release program updates?
A: Sure, but it depends on whether the submitted errors could be verified and whether we have ideas for new functions.
Q: What checksums are generated and will you add new in the future?
A: CRC32 (CRC32b), MD5, SHA1, SHA2-224, SHA2-256, SHA2-386 and SHA2-512. In future, probably SHA3. Others not, for the time being.
Q: Can I use CFV in order to generate checksums from other files than consoles' firmware?
A: Yes, basically the source of no importance, because the program reads descriptions and checksums which can be freely edited and picked from the options menu.
Q: Is CFV legal?
A: Yes, it is, it doesn't contain any keys/hashes used to sign files.
Q: Could I modify my console using this program?
Q: Can i change language?
A: Yes, you van change language in options menu.
Q: Language in databases also will change?
A: Unfortunately no. You can choose database (if also is translated) in option menu, unchecking not used other language versions.
Please be advised: in order for Custom Firmware Validator to work properly Microsoft .NET Framework at least ver. 4.0 is required. The program works on XP (reported some problems with SHA2), Vista and Seven. Not tested on Windows 8 (Developers/Consumers Preview).
Special thanks for: Fatman and toto67 from ps3-tools.de for preparing German translation of CFV and database odb_ps3.