this weekend PlayStation 3 developer aldostools has made available a PS3 Game Updates v1.0 homebrew application which allows you to identify and download updates for video game backups.
Download: PS3 Game Updates v1.0 (Installer) / PS3 Game Updates v1.0 (No Installer) / MSVBVM50.DLL (Required)
To quote: My new tool... (beta)
I really liked the trueicecold's PS3 Game Updater 1.41, but I wanted a couple of new features... so I made my own "PS3 Game Updates 1.0"...
- The title id field accepts many formats of title id (eg: title id with/without dash, content id, URL of pkgs, etc). Also supports search game by name.
- The title id field also accepts the path of GAMES or the IP of the PS3 (to scan multiple games).
- Show game patches 3.56+ in a different color (pink).
- Auto-detects game patches already downloaded (search in PS3_UPDATE, PS3_EXTRAS, and in the default download path) and show them in gray.
- Asks for confirmation to download patches 3.56 or higher. Required firmware version is appended to the name of the file (for 3.56+).
- Show game cover and game description even if the game does not have updates.