Linux on ps3 questions
ok so im looking for a cheap computer. I dont want to have to buy a monitor so ps3 seems like a good option since i already have a tv. Ive added up the cost and i probally wouldnt be spending more than 500 $. The computer i use is about 500 mhz so its very slow. Based on this information i have some questions. Please note that i am comparing this questions to the computer i have and on what computers i could buy for about 500$. i would be using the ps3 for games and blue ray quit often but i am mainly interested in buying this to have a more powerful computer than the one i have. i understand the computer would have trouble running games. I am planning on upgrading the harddrive space mannually so that will not be a problem.
1. Can Linux for ps3 hook up to enternet through wifi?
2. Would it be more powerful than the computer i already have. note that i would probally use a gui.
3. How much of the ps3 power is acctually being used with linux running. I know its 3.2 ghz without it running. If anyone can give me an accurate account of this information it would help me decide. thanks.
4. Is linux a good option for homebrew and emulators? Also can anyone give me good examples of homebrew so i can know where the ps3 is at.
5. Im not a computer ileterate but am not a programer, would this be a good choice for me? Note i have a fairly good understanding of heombrew ect.
6. I have a psp, how much more value would this add in my use of a ps3?
7. Can i do things like watch netflix, i have an account already, through the enternet browser?
8.Can i add ram or other hardware mods preferiebly through attatchments?
9. I guess the main question would be is linux on the ps3 going to be overally faster than the computer i alread use and will it be able to run computer applications, search the web, and have the basic funtionality of most computers?
any other information you think i would need would be greatly apreciated.
thank you to all willing to help.
2. Maybe, but be aware that there is only 256MB ram on the PS3
3. 6 of the 7 SPE's (basically processor cores) are avaliable. It depends in Linux applications use them or not.
4. For some. For example, SNES emulators run well in Linux
5. The GUI is easy to use, the command line may be difficult to understand at first
6. For Linux, not much.
7. Maybe...but the limited RAM may interfere with that.
9. Probably, but don't expect it to be like a high end PC.
Thanks for the info
Has anyone measured the clock speed of the ps3 while it's running linux? Is it faster than 500 MHz? I'm just looking for an upgrade to my computer witch is 500 MHz. I want to make sure the ps3 running Linux would be faster. I'm not expecting it to be a power house computer but hoping it could run speeds equavalant to 1 ghz maybe 1.5 ghz.
Sorry I had terminology mixed up. The ps3 will still run at 3.2 ghz but 256 mb of ram would slow down the ps3 procosor down to a speed I do not know. This would in theory be faster than my 500 MHz 128 mb ram computer. Am I right in this fact? If that doesn't make since please let me know.
Yes it will be definitely faster than that. But the limited RAM and lack of hardware acceleration will hurt it.