This is a tut just to show people how to install YDL 5.0 on their PS3. The public download is out now, so more people will have it now (and more people means more noobs). But anyway here's how you do it.
You will need-
PS3 (20GB or 60GB)
A PC with high speed internet
A PC with DVD burner
About 5-6 Hours on your hands
USB Stick Device(Anything will do EXCEPT CAMERA'S but you can put the SD card of your camera inside the ps3 and that works like a charm :)
1. If you have a SDTV then you WILL need a internet connection to your PS3 to do this but only once. Also, i dont think wifi works with YDL but you can try. I use a Linksys Wireless Gaming adapter that i got off of ebay for 20 bucks and that works, but i dont know about the internal PS3 wifi module, but you can try,
2. YDL only really supports 720p and abouve, so even if you get it to work on a 480i TV, it wont look nice.
3. Download YDL iso from its free servers now that it is avaliable for free. Please do not do this on dial-up connection. The iso is 4GB, so you need a DVD burner in your PC. You can but the installation from terrasoft, but i dont know how much that is. It took 3 hours for me to download it and im on cable connection. SO after it starts, go talk on the phone or masturbate while waiting come back every hour to check on it. This mirror is where i got the most success from and fastest speeds. (2.5 hours) http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/yellowdog/
3. In that link, you will se a bunch of folders. Go to ISO folder. Download the latest iso. They should be dated. Make sure it say YDL 5.0 for ps3 on it. I downloaded the 12-08 update.
4. After the download burn it to a dvd. Some people say that you have to burn it at 2x-4x speed. I burned mine a 16x and it went fine. But you so whatever you gotta do to get it burned. I recommend Roxio or Nero.
5.Download Sony Kboot Installer for PS3 . www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/
6.Download the YDL kboot.
Get a USB Thumb Drive Anything will work. No digital cameras, however my psp even worked fine. Make a folder on the root of the thumb drive called PS3. Inside that, make on e called otheros. Drop those two files into that otheros folder. Now boot up PS3. Connect the USB device and make sure the ps3 doesn't say UNKNOW USB DEVICE. Now, go to Settings>System Settings>Format Utility. If you have a 20GB PS3, then i recommend you setting to allot 10GB to the PS3 OS which leaves about 8 Gigs for the YDL to install.
Now the ps3 will reboot. Go to Settings>System Settings>Install Other OS. It will detect your USB drive if done correctly. HIt X to install. After Installation, go back to the PS3 XMB. Go to Settings>System Settings>Default System. It shoud be ps3. Select Other OS. Power off your ps3. When it turns back on, you will notice the kernel being oompiled. You will then get a kboot promt. Put in the DVD. For 720p users, you can just type install and hit enter. For 480i people, you must type installtext and then hit enter. 720p users, you should have no problems now, as you have the easier GUI for the installation.
Select Remove All Linux Partitions. If you have Fedora 5, you can select use exsiting free space, but 20gb models will not have enough space to do this.
Create a root password that is 8 letters long and has numbers.
It will ask for depenency check. Skip this as this is not needed, and i install YDL fine without it.
After that, it will ask you minor questions, but basic stuff. Once you see a screen with 2 progression bars, go have a tea party or masturbate some more. This time for aboout 2 hours. Come back at the 1 hour mark to see whats going on.
At the end, click reboot to reboot your ps3. When you get to the kboot again QUICKLY type: ydl480i. For 720p users, just type ydl. 720p users should just go straight to the GUI so dont use these steps below.
Make sure you have internet connection. Now you will get to a screen that says Localhostlogin:
The type that password you supplied earlier. You will now be at bash. type this is making sure you have internet:
It will save a file to your hard drive. It is only 29kb so it will be fast.
Type rpm -ivh Xautoconfig-0.23-2.ydl.2.ppc.rpm
Type editdiff /etc/inittab
Using the up and down arrow keys, you will see a underscore blinking at the top. Look for the line id:3:initdefault Bring that underscore under the 3 and make sure it is blinking. Hit i and it will say insert at the bottom of the screen. Now backspace that 3 and change it to 5. Now hit ESC and type :exit
Type editdiff /etc/kboot.conf
Again find the line that says default=ydl. Press i again and change it to ydl480i. Again press ESC and :exit. Now type reboot. Your ps3 will reboot. When you get to the kboot, you can either type in ydl480i or wait 10 seconds and it will do it auotmatically. You will now see a blue screen GUI that says Username. put it root. Then password is the password you supplied. It will say YDL for PLAYSTATION 3 (r) E17. Then you will be broght to the E17 desktop. If you ever buy a TV that is 720p, just type ydl at that promt in 10 seconds and it will go. After that, Mozilla firefox will work and you can install apps that have a ppc build to them abd run them on your ps3 i even put limewire up there. Have fun and if you ever want to go back to the ps3 game os, just type in boot-game-os in the kboot at startup. P.S. i typed this WHOLE thing using Firefox on YDL on my 60GB PS3. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!