Firmware Update v2.10 is now live. This new system update enhances media playback on the PLAYSTATION 3 in a number of ways that the PS3 community has indicated are important.
We are introducing a much-requested video playback format with this update: DivX and VC-1 (WMV) videos become playable in the Video section of the XMB. This update also brings the PS3’s Blu-ray drive up to Profile 1.1. “Picture in Picture” and other enhancements become available on Profile 1.1 compatible Blu-ray discs.
A voice changer feature is added, enabling you to change the tone of your voice during voice or video chat.
As always, we’re committed to enhancing PLAYSTATION 3 functionality, and we’ll continue to post firmware update details on the blog as they are released.
In order to download PS3 system software version 2.10, you will need a minimum 120Mb of free space on either the PS3 Hard Disk Drive (System Update) or on removable storage media (PC Update).
The PLAYSTATION 3 system software version 2.10 update includes the following:
* Voice Changer
The Voice Changer feature has been added to voice / video chat. Visit the Voice Changer guide in Help & Support under PS3 at eu.playstation.com for more details.
Using this feature, you can change the tone of a voice that is input from an audio device such as a microphone. High and low-pitched tones can each be adjusted to five preset levels. You can vary the tone when using voice / video chat under Friends.
Other new or revised features in version 2.10
* You can now select [Type 3] as an option under Settings > [Music Settings] > [Bitmapping]. This bitmapping process was developed specifically for the PS3TM system to enhance audio playback.
* DivX and VC-1 (WMV) have been added to the types of files that can be played. *
* Blu-ray Disc Profile 1.1 is now supported. **
* [BD Data Utility] has been added. ***
- To play VC-1 (WMV) format files, you must go to Settings > [System Settings] and set [Enable WMA Playback].
- Copyright-protected files or files that were encoded by using DivX 3.11 cannot be played. - Files that are 2GB or more cannot be played.
** You may now be able to use several additional features such as playback of two videos at the same time with Profile 1.1-compatible Blu-ray Discs. The available features vary depending on the disc.
*** The management data that is used by the Blu-ray Disc is saved.
* This system software update includes all features contained in previous versions.
* The new system software will preserve any settings previously made to the PLAYSTATION 3. Depending on the software title, you may not be able to play without first updating the PS3 system software.
* Do not perform updates using any data other than the official update data provided by Sony Computer Entertainment over a network or on disc media, and do not perform updates by methods other than those described in the product documentation or in this site. If an update is performed using data from another source, by another method, or with a PS3 system that has been altered or modified in any way, the PS3 system may not operate properly and may not be able to install the official update data. Any of these actions may void the PS3 system warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Computer Entertainment.
Blu-ray Disc* Standard Profile 1.1 (Bonus View) Enabled
DivX and VC-1 Video Playback Codecs Supported
Voice Changer for Audio Chat Introduced
London, 18th December 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced the immediate availability of the latest system software update for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3*). Version 2.10 will enable the world’s most popular gaming system to expand its value as a home entertainment hub by allowing it to play the very latest interactive Blu-ray Disc* movies, as well as broadening the number of video formats supported to make PS3 even more verstaile than before.
With the introduction of Blu-ray Profile 1.1 (known as Bonus View) PS3 will be able to fully exploit the potential of the new Blu-ray movies coming to market in 2008. With features such as Picture in Picture (PiP), the exceptional visual clarity offered by Blu-ray is further enhanced with richer features and interactive content, limited only by the imagination of the studio.
With sales of PS3 on track to have reached a cumulative global total of over 16 million by the end of March 2008, and the system software update making them all compatible with Bonus View, the market for Blu-ray discs showcasing these new interactive features is enormous. The first Blu-ray movies to take advantage of Bonus View are scheduled for release in January 2008, making PS3 owners amongst the first consumers able to enjoy the enhanced movie-watching experience that Blu-ray technology makes possible.
Many Hollywood and independent studios supporting Blu-ray will be bringing out an ever increasing range of movie titles in all genres featuring Bonus View interactivity to add to the pleasure of watching movies on Blu-ray disc.. With superb image clarity up to five times that of normal DVD video, and crystal clear Dolby 5.1 Channel audio, Blu-ray movie playback on PS3 really broadens the entertainment possibilities of PS3.
The provision of support for DivX and VC-1 video playback codecs in system software Version 2.10 will also significantly expand the multimedia capabilities of PS3 by enabling users to enjoy access to the broad library of video content available in both the the DivX and VC-1 digital media formats.
Version 2.10 also introduces an engaging voice changer feature to enhance Voice Chat on PS3, enabling users to alter the tone and pitch of their voice from the Control panel during AV Chat.
DivX 3.11 doesn't work. XviD encodes using Custom Matrixes don't work.
Spoiler for New Visualzer::