I have started a tile editor that I will work on in my spare time.
Each additional feature added to the editor will result in a new build being added and uploaded.
In the end I would like this to be an easy to use 2D map maker with the ability to add collision inside the editor itself.
At this point, that is far into the future. Progress may come slow at times since I don't have a whole lot of time.
I plan to make the editor export to lua, allegro with c++, and maybe c/c++ for psp later on.
The program is distributed as a clickonce deployment application.
When you visit the download link below you will see an install link on the page to install the program.
You may have to download the .NET Framework if you don't have that already. It should let you know if you need it.
It is required to use Internet Explorer to visit the link below and download.
It will not work correctly using Firefox.
When you download and install the program it will be accessible from your Start menu, and can be uninstalled from Add or Remove Programs in your Control Panel.
Up to date information as well as the download location will be posted on my forum at http://forums.evilmana.com/index.php...sg6768#msg6768
Updating the program as new versions are released is as simple as running the program.
Each time the tile editor is run it will check for an updated version, and give you the option to install it, considering you're connected to the internet.
At anytime you may roll back to a previous version from Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel by choosing to uninstall, which will give you the
option to uninstall or roll back to a previous version.
* TileSet Loader added. This will load a tileset into the editor and export either selected parts of it or the entire image
as individual tiles. These will be loaded into the tile list in the editor. This also saves the individual images to the
folder from which the tileset was loaded. The individual tiles will be used with your game. Not the tileset picture.
The tileset image has to have exact dimensions divisible by the tile size in order to be loaded up.
To use this feature you click Load TileSheet, and select a valid image.
The TileSet Loader pops up with your image inside.
Clicking inside the image selects individual tiles from the image.
You must enter a File Name and select the image format to export as.
Note that for exporting multiple tiles you need not change the file name for each. The editor will add numbers to
the file name to keep from overwriting images.
You may click Load Selected to load a single tile, or Load All to load the entire image as individual tiles.
Once finished you may close the form.
* 16x16 Tiles removed for now due to technical issues with this size
* Resolution added when creating New Map. Adjusts the display size of map.
* Exporting of a lua map added
* Exporting of scrolling lua maps added. Exports 2 files. One is the map info, the other the main game code.
(Future versions will include a player with the scrolling map)
* Editor now draws three separate layers: BackGround, Object, and ForeGround
* Select layers to draw tiles on.
* Select which layers you want to view. View only one, or view two, or all three. Any combination.
* Fill layer added. Will fill an entire layer with the currently selected tile. This will overwrite all other tiles on the layer.
* Fill Empty Tiles added. Will fill all unused tiles on the active layer with the selected tile. Will not replace tiles already placed on the layer.
* Clear Layer added. Deletes all tiles on the active layer.
* Clear Map added. Deletes all tiles on the entire map, including all three layers.
0.1.2.1 (4/28/07): [Note: Program displays as version 0.1.2.0]
* Map drawing routine recoded to draw only tiles within the viewable area of the map. Any size map should work fast now
* Tools menu option added, along with "Fill layer with selected tile" which fills the entire layer with the current tile thats selected\
* Map creation area now scrolls with scrollbars
0.1.1.1 (4/27/07) :
* Right mouse button now deletes tiles in map. Left draws tiles
* Custom Colors for Grid now works
0.1.1.0 (4/26/07) :
* Load Single Tiles
* Create map using 16x16, 32x32, or 64x64 tiles
* Map editor currently does not scroll map outside the initial 800x600 screen
* Turn Grid on or off.
* Set grid style to dash, dot, or solid
* Three grid colors. Custom currently isnt implemented
* Open and Save in menu do not function currently