Time for a battle royale with a bit of online fun.
Post compo version 1.10: http://www.adamcon.org/~dmwick/psp/pspftw2d110.zip (unsigned)
pspftw2d110 signed (and shrinked) pspftw2d110 signed (and shrinked).rar - http://wololo.net/
- many improvements to move the frame rate from 25 fps to 75 fps (a much smoother experience)
- should fix the initial "Choose your network" dialog a bit (although it is still flickery for some reason).
- replaced the little squares with animated characters by Trent Gamblin (Modified BSD) to improve the frame rate
- changed the hud from drawn text to graphical (to improve the fps) with graphics from NightStar3
- changed the background to a light color and the text to a dark color to elimainate draws a drop shadow (to improve the fps)
Some screenshots of that version:
PSP FTW is an online game where you use fireballs, collect mana, and visit waypoints to win the game. The twist is that the rules can be changed by the players, who vote on the change.
- Chat online with other players from the lobby
- Join games created by other players
- Create your own game, and have others join
Players take turns to have 30 seconds to propose a new win condition. If you create a new rule, all players vote on it, a majority changes the win condition.
- barriers are bright green.
- players are red, orange and yellow
- waypoints are blue
- mana is dark green and always appears on waypoints
Initially the goal is to collect 3 mana. Shooting a fireball uses up 1 mana, if you have any.
Across the bottom are the stats for all participating players:
M: mana collected
H: hits you've made to another player with a fireball
B: fireballs that you've successfully blocked
W: waypoints touched in the game so far.
I also am willing to release the server with source. It has been tested on Windows, Linux and Mac OS, but I'm unclear from the rules about whether it is allowed to be posted here or not. Currently it connects by default to my server (the Team Sushi PSP FTW! server) which is hosted in the US at AdamCon - Coleco Adam Convention News and Adam News Archives so if you want to check your ping times you can.
For this version the screen updates only when the server transmits an update, so eventually we will want to have multiple servers with low ping times for different parts of the world. Eventually I will release a version with smoothing, so that that FPS rate is fully used (instead of having the server update 10 times per second with chunky movement on the client side).