Hello. I'm new here, and I just wanted to let everyone know I am currently coding my own version of Stepmania in LUA and trying to make it as similar to the real Stepmania as I can. This is probably the start of a real good game, but right now I think it sucks. So far I have added:
- DWI File Support
- Colored Arrows (Tells if arrow is quarter, 8th, or 16th note)
- Also Runs pretty smooth
Things that need to be done are:
- BM File Support
- Play Music to Arrows (Full purpose of the game)
- Song selector
- 12th, 24th, 32nd, 48th, 64th, and 192nd notes
- Move arrows at the RIGHT BPM!!
- Display song picture in the background
- Anything else to make the perfect match to stepmania
Right now, what problems might arise are:
- Some arrows might not show up - This is because it only supports 4th, 8th, and 16th notes for right now and no freeze holds/rolls.
- Program will freeze - This is because the DWI file you have contains more than one difficulty. I tried to work around this but, somehow I can't. Erase everything in the DWI but the one difficulty you want to play and the Song's Information
- Music will not play - Dont even bother putting the MP3's in the folder with the DWI file; this program does not play mp3's simply because LUA does not have MP3 support
First off, to get it to work, put any DWI file you are using (2 DWI's are INCLUDED) inside the same folder as the script and open up the script. Goto the sixth Line (stpwe = "PARANOiA.dwi"), and change the PARANOiA.dwi in quotes to whatever DWI file you want to play. Then load up the program and if all goes well, it may take a couple seconds to load up in the start, arrows will start scrolling up. To play, press the button(s) that correspond to whatever arrow(s) are currently colliding with the arrows up above that stay in place. Here are the controls:
SQUARE () - Left Arrow
CROSS (X) - Down Arrow
CIRCLE (O) - Right Arrow
TRIANGLE (/_\) - Up Arrow
START ([Start]) - End Program
Two arrows may appear at once, (Three or Four arrows at once are not supported YET). If you can't get other DWI's to work, view the troubleshooting up above, or just try the ones that come in the zip. Thanks, and if you would like to help me with coding this program or anything, please, email me at email@example.com.