After a busy week Im finally at the stage where im ready to release the first test alpha of Treasure Island Dizzy in Flash. This has been coded with firmware 2.7 in mind, so dont expect high end flash crispness as this has been sacrificed for speed.
This alpha release should be fully playable from beginning to end, but of course the whole point of this alpha is to track down game stopping bugs and see what sort of things people would like to see added.
As this has been made for the PSP somethings have either been left out permanently or until the game is optimised enough to do them. The game map and graphics are based on the NES version of the game and solution, and contains a few (hopefully not too noticable) changes to the original. The music was extracted from the C64 version as a SID and resampled to mp3 with slight changes and instrument additions.
The release can be found through my PSP formatted website @ http://www12.asphost4free.com/shallan/ browse to the game section there or can be downloaded from the download section here http://dl.qj.net/click.php?pid=122&fid=7599
Although it will run from the website, im sure with freehosting this could take sometime if repeatedly accessed by more than about 2 people so the best way to play this is to highlight the game link in the PSP browser, then go to File->Save link target in the browser options and save to the memory card. If saved in default location it can then be accessed offline by typing the following link into the browser : "file:/PSP/COMMON/Dizzy.swf"
Dpad left and right : Move Dizzy
Dpad down : Open inventory
X button : Jump/Start game/Close message
Known bugs/issues: (to be updated periodically):
- Sometimes respawning after death causes problems
- Collision is buggy to say the least
- Preloader doesnt seem to work on PSP browser
- There are no clue scrolls
- On screen 68/69 instead of walking on the bottom Dizzy should drop off and die. At present restart game only option (will be fixed with respawn bug)
- AApparently it is sometimes possible to peform a double jump (anyone can reproduce?)
To do for beta: (to be updated periodically)
- Replace Alpha debug( screen numbers) with location names
- Include clue scrolls
- Overhaul game graphics
- Increase baddy count
- Create animations for puzzle completions
- Optimise further so more can be added easily
- Fix bugs reported
Any bug reports please try to include full details and the screen number on which it appeared if relevant.