After seeing the thread in the PSP-Hacks section as well as the author's enw method oflaunching hombrew, I thought Id try it, and what do you know, the MUSIC thumnail viewing has the same effect as the PHOTO thumbnails. This means we can launch TIFF homebrew with a most likely different caching behaviour, resulting in a possibly more stable launching method.
Because of recenet bickering and thick headed-ness, not too many people can see the original founder of the MUSIC method. Assuming all who look here would have looked there, the author of that thread would be suffienct enough to be 'credit'. I guess not, so the founder of the MUSIC viewer launching method is dylandangles, and if you look more closely, I havent said I found this anywhere, rather I was just confirming it.
Here is a video for proof, as well as a teaser for you 2.x+'er's that can't downgrade just yet ;)
**Note** The Devhook capturing plugin for some reason doesn't capture '-' or '_', therefore the 1/2 the boader and the pad is gone, but you get the idea ;)
Anyways, it's important to know the utt-most BASICS of what's happening within the TIFF file called 'loadbin.tif'.
Inside loadbin.tif, hex edit it to edit it else just view it with notepad, you'll find a string around... (im too lazy to look up the offset ) Better yet, just scroll down until you reach alot of NULL bytes (0), scroll up from there until you come across a chunk of symbols, at the bottom you should see the path to the bin to be loaded. Better yet, here's a tutorial on howto get Tetris up and running through the MUSIC directory...
1. Get the tetris game, look at its contents. You should see a JPG, a BIN and a TIF. We only need the TIF and BIN.
2. Take your favorite Hex Editor (google it for one) open up the TIF. Scroll down until you reach alot of 0's, once there, scroll up until you find a chunk of symbols, followed by a path (or do a ASCII string search for 'ms0').
3. Now, this path is the pathway to the .bin file to be loaded. AKA what game is to be loaded. Since we don't want to make a mess out of just one game, we'll keep our files together. Edit the path from saying something or other:
4. Note, most hex editors don't support deletion, rather over-write. So just type over 'photo' with 'music'.Code:ms0:/psp/music/tetris/tetris.bin
5. Now, we have our TIF image when displayd on the PSP, to load the tetris game .bin from psp/music/tetris/tetris.bin. Now we need to do the main part of this newfound stabability trick... View the TIF image from the MUSIC directory.
6. Simple: Copy hte TETRIS folder your working in (you should have edited the TIFF image in it, as well as kept the tetris.bin in it) to the MUSIC folder.
That's it! No need to rename loadbin.tif or whatever .tif you have to .jpg, as the MUSIC thumbnail viewer works just liek the PHOTO viewer, meaning it supports TIF images as thumbnails :)
Tell me if i should add anything!
After careful mods here and there, I can now successfully launch any TIFF homebrew EVERYTIME. The Movie browser obviously has... I wanna say 0 caching behaviour or whatever it is that causes un-stable results. After the first run with teh Movie directory, it loads anything, instantly. the first run through, it takes about 10 seconds to load up.
Let me know if anyone is ineterested in this new found launching method (I suppose I founded it too :)) else Ill just keep using it for my personal benefit
I love finding this stuff... :)
@Devs (i suppose) - I havent a clue whether these 2 new homebrew launching methods have any influence on a memory dump leaving traces of NIDs/names (maybe MUSIC leaving sceAudio*) or whether the blockade stopping flash0 access is bypassed, but surely, they should be tried for such.