Difference Between OE and IE Firmware
A lot of people often complain that there's no use for IE because OE is out already and isn't as "great" as Dark_Alex. Well it's up to the users to decide which is best for them. This is to show the difference and the goods and bads of the two custom firmwares. OE has certain things IE may not have and IE may have some OE doesn't.
Difference of OE (Opening Edition) and IE (Increasing Edition)
1. OE supports ta-082 and ta-086 and pretty much every motherboard
2. OE has the higher firmware number like 3.40
3. OE is created by Dark_Alex (not saying it's a bad nor good)
4. DaX's firmware has a built in ps1 emulator
5. When formatting necessary folders are created.
1. IE currently does not support ta-082 nor ta-086
2. IE is 1.62
3. IE is by becus25 (again not saying who it is created by is a good or bad)
4. IE supports homebrew and emulators no ps1 emulator though.
5. IE has two recovery modes.
Similarities of OE and IE
Are custom firmwares of course
Both support homebrew
Recovery Mode (IE has two)
I believe they both support custom icons not sure about IE
Access to flash0/1
Information on OE:
Open Edition Custom Firmware is created by Dark_Alex. There are several numbers of OE firmware currently up to 3.40 OE which is the most recent one as of yet. Many consider it to be the best firmware as of now and I may agree. OE has all goods of 1.5 and more. Recovery mode was a excellent addition to the firmware which may help of a semi brick. It is easy to use and has some configurations that may help or effect game play.
Information on IE:
Increasing Edition is created by developer becus25. The newest one is 1.62 IE-D. Currently, IE does not support ta 082 or 086 motherboards so please don't try installing it on a ta 082 or 86. This has two recovery modes in which the second is ran if the first is not detected. May be useful if something went wrong with your first recovery mode. IE also supports homebrew like OE and 1.50.
Mods feel free to add more to the list. I can't really think of more to add but I'll add more soon.