~~~Disc Swap Solution~~~
Metal Gear Solid is unfortunately one of those few games that requires you to swap disc's without saving. Here are the following steps to get to Disc 2.
- After you beat Sniper Wolf (the 2nd time) in the snowfield save then exit the game).
- Connect your PSP to your PC via USB. Download the latest version of CWCHEAT for POPS (If you haven't already).
- Install CWCHEAT, follow the instructions in the readme if you need help.
- Once installed you need to edit a file called cheatpops.db. This file can be found at X:\seplugins\cwcheat\chea tpops.db (Where X is the letter of your drive) Right-Click on cheatpops.db. Select 'Open With' and the click 'Choose Program...' Select notepad on the list.
- Copy and Paste the following inside notepad.
_G Metal Gear Solid Disc 2
_C0 Disc Swap Fix A
_L 800B7518 0002
_C0 Disc Swap Fix B
_L 800B7520 0002
Click File and Save then close notepad.
- Disconnect your PSP and load up Metal Gear Solid Disc 2. Once at the mean menu press and hold Select on your PSP for 1-3 secs. The CWCheat menu should load up (lots of white writing). Go to Select Cheats and press 'x' and you should see two 'cheats' (I use the term loosely as this is not considered a cheat). Enable both 'cheats'. If done correctly your screen should read..
[Y] Disc Swap Fix A
[Y] Disc Swap Fix B
If the above is correct Press 'O' Go down to enable cheats and press 'X' press 'O' again to return to Metal Gear Solid.
- Go to load game and load up your Disc 1 game save. It should load with no problems. Save the game via codec and it will save it as disc 2. Take Snake directly south of the screen and enter the door you first entered before you took on Sniper Wolf. Then leave that door again and you will be back in the snowfield (Sounds pointless I know but its the only it worked for me). There will now be a dog running around, it will not attack you. Keep going north of the screen (Sniper Wolf is no longer there and just a pool of blood lies there.)
- Enter the door that says N-A1 (two doors left of Sniper Wolf's blood). There are gun cameras in this room so you may want to use chaff grenades. Go down the stairs and you are now playing on with disc 2. (I suggest saving at 1st opportunity)
~~~Defeating Psycho Mantis~~~ (Without Controller Swap) (For all users using 3.03/3.03 OE-C and below)
Another comon question when playing MGS1 on PSP is how to defeat Psycho Mantis. It is not true that you have to swap your controller to port 2 in order to beat Mantis, but it does help. However for obvious reasons you cannot do this on PSP. You can keep running around and try to punch and kick Mantis (usually only 1 of 5 attacks will hit him). This does require a skilled player and you must learn his attack paterns.
An easyer was is to smash the two statues at the top of the room on each side. Unfortunatly this hint requires you to die.
- Save before you enter Psycho Mantis' room.
- Keep playing and avoid Psycho Mantis' attacks. Ocasionaly call Campbell (140.85) via codec. Once he tells you about the swap controller trick you must unfortunatly die. So just let Mantis attack you.
- Continue game. (It should have you just outside Psycho Mantis' room). Enter the room. Now smash the two statues on either side of the room with your FAMAS.
- Mantis will no longer be able to read your mind and he is a lot easyer to beat. (This has the same effect as swapping your controller on the PSX) :)
If you have the latest custom firmware (3.10 OE-A by Dark_Alex which can be found Here) You can now defeat Psycho Mantis WITH the Controller Swap! This option can be found (when playing the game) by pressing Home.
If there any other aspects of the game you need help with feel free to ask. I hope a mod may sticky this as it will stop the many threads about these to particular "problems" with playing the game on PSP.
(Thanks to Bowsey for the CWCheat info)