Should I downgrade or not? It took a long time for me to get to this point!! I'm at 2.82 and have GTA:LCS with the 2.00 patch, with (to the best of my knowledge) a TA-82 mobo.
The short version of my story is..
- I wanted an MP3 player
- iPod seemed the most "standard"
- Ope!! I also want video (since I saw the ipod video and *drooled*)
- I find out iPod video kinda sux cuz the screen is so small plus only 320x240 rez, plus its $400 cdn
- I read that PSP can play MP3's AND play MP4 video, plus play games (duh), $200 cdn
- I buy me a PSP (FW 2.60) and find out I can't play full rez movies on it, WTH!!
- I research and find peeps have hacked the PSP to show full rez, but u gotta downgrade (or downgrade then upgrade to OE)
- Meanwhile I find a GTA:LCS, used, and luck out with the 2.00
- I buy a few more games, including Ratchet and Clank:Size Matters
- My games forced me to FW 2.82, but after all my research i'm not worried cuz I can downgrade from 3.03 with my LCS (for a while I didn't play my UMD's for fear the forced upgrade would lock me out of my movies)
- I order two 4GB sticks from eBay (hopefully not fake! sheesh I only find out about those after I order)
- I read horror stories that Ratchet and Clank won't play on OE firmwares
- Recently 3.30 came out, now with full rez video support
So here I am..
- The new FW 3.30 will play my movies full rez
- I hear that I can play my UMD games from my sticks and have longer battery life, faster load times, plus benefit of not scratching my UMD's
It looks like 3.30 will fulfill my original goal of MP3/movies/games BUT now i'm considering downgrading.
- Might not be able to play future games?? (such as with the reported Ratchet and Clank troubles)
- Might never be able to go back to "sony" firmwares (future desired features - altho I have no idea what)
- Disabled 'features' on OE FW's??? This i'm not sure on - USB troubles? or WiFi/multiplayer troubles?
- Longer battery life if I use my sticks instead of UMD's
- Homebrew (not that I've seen anything I'd personally use right now.. maybe IR remote control)
- Emulators (ditch my GBA if I get ROMS for my games)
- Maybe play around with developing (used to be a programmer - I'm prolly very rusty)
So I need some advice!! Should I upgrade to Sony 3.30? Are there problems downgrading (ie: locking myself out of future games)? Are there more PRO's and CON's that I haven't thought of? (Aside from small chance of bricking)