PSP Screen Problem
My friend gave me a PSP that "wasn't working". I found out pretty quickly that the screen's backlight trace was broken. Is there a way to fix the trace?
The trace is the little one like in this pic:
Are you sure it was the trace and not the fuse? How was it broken? across? torn off? You might be able to solder a jumper wire to where you need if it's broken clean off.
I'm 100% it's the trace. As from what I can see, It look like someone tried to remove the screen without opening the black tabs holding almost every trace in place. Here is a pic of the trace:
Notice of disclaimer: --I'm not responsible legal or otherwise, for any actions you take, even when it regards my statements or advice.--
Looks like you have a few choices.
1) (I'm assuming it's a phat psp lcd) Buy a new lcd from DEALEXTREAME $30 Or trade/ pay for one over at acidmods.com's auction forum.
2) GENTLY using an exacto knife and scrape the plastic away from where you can see the copper running to the lcd screen. (on the ribbon cable) then tin 4, single strands of copper from a small strand of copper wire. (from 30 or like gauge wire) Use those 4 copper wires to connect the traces to where they are broken.
-note: if you do decide to solder, DO NOT let the soldering iron contact the copper of the ribbon cable for more than 3 seconds, as you could melt the cable. (also do not leave the iron within 4 inches of the ribbon cable if not soldering.)
3) Use solder to connect the 4 traces. I highly discourage trying this unless you've done it before to bridge broken traces. As you could end up connecting all four and burning the ribbon cable.
4) (untested by me and anyone I know) Solder 30 gauge wire to the traces, then break off the black clip and solder to the four pins on the clip. (this too may be very difficult.)
5) Let someone you trust and think can solder the connections do it.
Thanks. I will try to scrape a bit of plastic off If I can't i will go for a new screen.
There a silver pens available as an alternative to soldering.
You'd still have to strip back some plastic from the cable to reveal more copper in this case,
and I'm not sure how fine the tip of the pens are