[I was GalaXy-HaXz, but for some reason I couldn't post, so I made a new account]
Some of you may remember the 1.00 bogus update that was leaked by Sony during an update test in January, 2005. Well, I about found a way to fully install it (actually, I did), and I'd figure I would share some of the [major] changes I found. As for screenshots, I'll try getting them later. After putting faceplates on my PSP Phat, I couldn't put it back together. So once I get it fixed, I'll get a video.
Changes: (between 1.00 and 1.03) [see version.txt]
Home screen color
- with current firmwares, the home screen menu relies on two files. impose.prx, and impose.rsc. In the debug update, the home menu only has impose.prx, and the in-game home menu is blue instead of gray! That's right, 60's style, it has color.
- the psp logo says just "PSP" and it is colored black instead of gray. Also, the gameboot has no sound.
- most commonly known: the xmb sounds are way different, along with the background colors. This is used in the Bogus OE themes.
- this update is the actual 1.00. The 1.00 on Japan psps are actually 1.03. This can be seen in both version.txts.
- This would be the perfect development firmware, aside from the fact that game_plugin.prx/rco limits the MS games to just the Debug Update, supposebly the IPL doesn't check for encryption. So you could run any homebrew prx without any limitations.
- When you load a game, it loads insanlly faster. The gameboot logo (PSP) only appears on the screen for about 1 second, and then the game loads. Similar to regaular 1.00, but faster.
Now, your probably wondering how to get this firmware to work. If you install the debug update from 1.00, it bricks. The reason it bricks is becaus of registry.prx in flash0:/kd. This file is formatted for Sony PSPDev systems, and therefore settings are handled different than having a Flash1. So to install this, you need to dump the debug update (use an old version of psar dumper that dumps a data.psar, and not eboot.pbp, the new ones don't work). Install 1.00 on a phat, and copy over every file from the debug update except registry.prx. In fact, the 1.00 debug uses the same IPL as the 1.00 release.
How to run games? Well, I know one thing: if you could patch game_plugin.rco to show all games, and patch game_plugin.prx to run all games, then the firmware would be fine. But I've tried for hours using a hex editor, and can't do it. SO if anyone discovers how, or know's any other visual changes in the Debug Update, then please post.
Ohh, and to see the home menu screen, you need to run a umd. As mem stikc games won't work. ANd PLEASE, only do this if you have a pandora bat+mms, because theres know way without to get to another firmware. So do this at your own risk and use only for dev purposes.
What's the point of doing this? Well if your very curious, you can learn quit abit about how the psp looked in it's early stages. Also, the IPLs inculded in Gretzky NHL (kernel.bin I believe), are not the debug 1.00 ipl. They are even earlier builds of 1.00, so don't try flahsing, I've tried and its a brick.
So I hope you people learned a little something today, I couldn't find hardly any info on the debug firmware, so I worked on it and figured out the info myself.
Sony for being so blind as to hosting there anti-public update.
Dark Alex and PSPpet for there psardumper.
One last thing, If it wouldn't be violating the ToS, I can post a link to the UPdate.
Edit: Ok, the IPL on the umd's were called Kbooti.bin, and they were on ridge racer + gretzky nhl 2005