Customize Grand Theft Auto's LUA Scripts for mods?
I've been sifting through the GTA:VCS and stumbled on a bunch of LUA scripts that are used for multiplayer modes and other parts of the game. I think that if you could modify these files you can probably give yourself some perks, custom weapon spots, whatever. I'm not in it for the cheats, just for the curiosity.
Download .LST Dumps
If anybody knows anything about LUA, please try and help me. I've successfully been able to dump the encrypted files to listings and if you want ASM code I can do that by request. I need help compiling these listings to normal LUA code so that we can tinker with these files. ChunkSpy doesn't recognize the chunk platform which indicates some custom version of LUA used although this program targets LUA v5.01. I probably do not know how to use the --rewrite argument properly or something of that nature because it shows me 0kb files. I will try some more later. Thanks!
----------------------------------------How to Dump GTAs LUA Scripts!
- A Copy of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (to get the LUA files from). Could also work on GTA:LCS (thanks for bringing that up joseph10444)
- ChunkSpy (direct link) - [Win32] / [LUA]
- Preferrably a Windows Computer. If you'll be using the LUA version the commands will be the same but the way you'll launch ChunkSpy will not. If you don't have a Windows machine, skip over to step two.
- Open up a command prompt window and navigate to where you saved and unarchived your ChunkSpy zip. Navigate to the folder 5.0.2 (version I used, you could try 5.1-work6 if you'd like). Make sure you are in the same folder as the ChunkSpy executable.
- To decrypt a file you must type in and adapt the following command. Fill in the directories with the appropriate names. Output file should be a .lst but I guess it could be any extension. Openable by Notepad/Wordpad, although Notepad++ is better.
chunkspy FILE DIRECTORY --auto -o OUTPUT FILE DIRECTORY
- Repeat for all the files. I did this for all of them because the server with my copy of Visual Studio was down and I forgot that the express editions are available, but I realized this too late or I would have made an automation program.