2.71 Downdater by Dark_AleX/Mathieulh/Yoshi
This software is free, unlicensed and comes with no warranty.
Despite it has been tested and it has worked, a program that rewrites a big part of the flash(flash0)
is always dangerous. You are the only responsable of whatever happens to your psp using this
This program requires that someone with a 1.50 runs a little program and send you the output so
you can init the downdate process. (by legal reasons i cannot provide those files directly, that's why
this is needed).
The 1.50 program is TOTALLY safe, it only dumps the flash of a 1.50 user and it also extracts some special
prx's found in the 1.50 updater.
The downdater directory outputted is exactly the same than the created by the 2.60/2.50 downdater.
IMPORTANT NOTE: TA-082 users, this doesn't work on these psp's. DO NOT RUN IT.
Instruction for the 1.50 user
1) Copy the folders downhelper and downhelper% from the folder 1.50 HELPER folder to
/PSP/GAME/ in your memstick.
2) Obtain the 1.50 updater and put it in /PSP/GAME/UPDATE in your memstick.
Some download links for it:
3) Init the downhelper program.
It will dump your flash and some files from the updater eboot to the memstick.
4) After that, the program will exit. You can now delete the updater from /PSP/GAME/UPDATE
5) You'll notice that you have a new folder in the root of your memstick called "DOWNDATER".
That's the folder you'll have to send to a 2.71 to let him use the downdater.
Instructions for the 2.71 user
1) Copy the files inside MS_ROOT to the root of your memory stick.
2) Wait someone with 1.50 to pass you a folder called DOWNDATER and copy it to the root of your memstick.
3) It is recomended that you have the psp at more than 50% batteery and connected to AC
4) Go to the xmb photo viewer.
At this point will one of the following things:
a) You'll see a full red screen. This indicates that the downdater is doing its job.
Wait for it to finish. When it finish it will crash on purpose. Restart your psp manually
and you'll probably have a 1.50 if nothing went wrong.
b) You don't see the red screen. This indicates that the downdater code has not started
to execute. (even if the memstick blinks(or no), it doesn't matter! if the screen is not red, you can safely restart
the psp at this point).
This happen because of inestability in the tiff.
Don't worry, just restart the psp and keep trying until you reach the red screen of downdate.
The downdater code is NEVER executed partially. It's either executed totally or nothing.
It depends of "luck" but usually the downdater will start to execute in a average of 1/10 times.
Things that may increase the probabilities:
- A fresh formatted memory stick.
- A 32 MB memory stick (and fresh formatted)
Many thanks to:
- People that found and exploited the tif bug: Nopx86, psp250, Skylark, Joek2100, CSwindle, JimP and Fanjita
- hitchhikr for finding the kernel exploit.
- All people that tested code and supported us: jpeg (the first in downgrade!), whackawookie,
nopx86, [Having], tyranog, joshrulez and probably more people that i forgot.
- tesuhack for lying in one test making me loose time and reach incorrect conclusions