This is just a small step towards the end goal, but man, it's good.
I copied the topmenu_plugin.rco straight from the flash0 of my PSP running Mr. Dark_Alex's 3.10 OEA. From there I chose a location within the file and modified some characters.
0x18000 to 0x18011 709ecdae6dba064a2ab9c28a9 f34d8adb26d
0x18000 to 0x18011 47616d65724446574de2ffeae 82fd8e3a590
The sum the hex pairs, for each line, is the same. I took a little bit from one set and added towards the end. (1111 can be 1210 or 0022 or 2101) Two things happened.
1. GamerDFWM was spelled out in the ASCII view
2. The Network Setting Icon disappeared!
Not to stop there, I added extra "00" pads at the end and moved a 50 from 0x32884 to 0x3289A and the file still loaded.
Hopefully someone will find this useful, and it will be a worthy contribution to a scene that has given me so much.