What is the controller like?
It's wireless and has built in rumble support. It can also detect motion, is tilt sensitive, works as a pointer, and features an expansion port that can be used for addons. The controller also has a speaker on the 'Wii-mote', as well as 5kb of memory
storage. It is that that this memory will store players 'Miis'. The first add-on, dubbed the nunchaku by Satoru Iwata, features an analog stick with 2 triggers, designed for first person shooters. No other add-ons have been confirmed at this point. According to the TGS teaser video 2 controllers can be used by 1 person as shown during the drumming clip. It has also been confirmed that the Wii will only support 4 controllers, therefore any modes supporting 2 of the base controllers for 1 person, will only support 2 players at the maximum.
Unlike all other sensory enabled controllers, the Wii's controller will function with HDTV's by utilizing a sensor that is placed near the TV, rather then it's scanlines, which would cause it to function improperly.
What is the Virtual Console controller like?
The Virtual Console controller is used to play many of the game download of the Virtual Console service. The controller is designed to be able to work well with many game from old systems such as NES, SNES, N64, Genesis and TurboGrafx 16. The controller has a DPad, two analog sticks, L and R shoulder buttons + 2 shoulder buttons, four face buttons, start and select buttons, and a 'Home' button.
What is the system like?
The Wii is one of the smallest consoles to date. It 14cm in height, 3.5cm in width and 19.5cm in length. The flap on the front of the console contains slots for Secure Digital (SD) card slots. Instead of the DVD drive coming outside of the system, like many past consoles, you will insert the DVD through a slot to be read, much like the old Apple computer systems.
On the top of the system there are ports for 4 GameCube controller, and 2 GC memory cards for when backwards compatibility.
Will there be any GBA/DS connectivity?
Nintendo confirmed DS connectivity through wi-fi, however no GBA support has been announced. The first title that will take advantage of this feature is Pokemon Battle Revolution. You can upload your Pokemon from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl and use them in Pokemon Battle Revolution.
Is the Wii backwards compatible?
The Wii can play Gamecube games right out of the box, and sports 4 Gamecube controller ports, as well as 2 Gamecube memory card slots. The Wii can also play Nintendo's catalog of console games all the way back to the NES. Nintendo will be periodically releasing new games for the Virtual Console for a small fee per game.
How much do Virtual Console games cost
* NES games - 500 points
* TurboGrafx-16 games - 600 to 800 points (R-type is the only TurboGrafx-16 game that is 800 points)
* Mega Drive/Genesis - 800 points (600 in Japan)
* SNES games - 800 points (some games are 900 points in Japan)
* N64 games - 1000 points (Ocarina of Time is confirmed to be 1200 points in Japan once it comes out)
What Virtual Console games are currently available?
You can find out what virtual console games are available at the moment by visiting this link. [Thanks VC-Reviews]
Is Nintendo finally going to get serious about network play?
Nintendo is indeed planning something with it's wi-fi service. It's believed that Wii will share the same service as the current DS model. It will be completely free, and will feature what Nintendo has called "Xbox-Live like capabilities". Right now the only confirmed connectivity for the Wii is through Wi-Fi via wireless routers, and it supports connections to the DS USB wifi dongle. Nintendo have released several channels that take advantage of Nintendos online network, such as the Weather Channel, The News Channel, the "Everybody Votes Channel" and others.
When will there be games that support online play?There will be online supported games mid 2007. The first game to support online play is Pokemon Battle Revolution, which was released June 25th 2007. Other games that will support online include Mario Strikers Charged, Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Mario Kart Wii. MK Wii will even sport an impressive 16 player online infrastructure.
What is the Wii's media format?
Standard DVD5, and DVD9, as well as the ability to read Gamecube mini-DVD. It can also read SD carts through as slot on the front of the console.
Does the Wii come with a hard drive?
No. Instead it comes packed with 512mb of internal memory.
What colors does the wii come in?
Although Nintendo showed off the Wii originally in many different colors, the Wii has only launched in one color, white.
Can it play DVD movies?
No. Nintendo has confirmed that the Wii will not be able to play DVD movies. They're reasoning behind this is that most households have at least one DVD player already, and therefore adding DVD functionality to the Wii will only increase the price for functionality that many already have. However a premium version of the Wii is rumored to be able to play DVD movies
What sort of video output is the Wii capable of?
The Wii, like Gamecube, will support R/F, composite, S-video, and component video out. The confirmed maximum resolution will again be 480p, which is widely considered not to be HD level.
Can the Wii hook up to a PC moniter?
No. Despite Nintendo earlier stating that the Wii will in fact be able to hook up to moniters, that is no longer the case, unless your monitor has inputs for component, composite or S-Video.
Can I use Gamecube controllers for Wii games?
Some games do support the Gamecube controller, but not the majority of them. It can also be used for NES, SNES and N64 Virtual Console games.
Is the LED disc slot on all the time?
The blue LED inside the game disc slot is not always on. It is only on when you receive a new message, and the system is in Standy mode.
What is the purpose of the Blue LED light?
The purpose of it is to show you when you have recieved a messege from someone on your friends list.
Will it be on constantly when I receive a messege, or will it just blink once?
It will be constantly on until the next time you check your Wii, however you can change this option in the settings menu.
How does it send a message to me when my Wii is turned off?
Actually, your Wii is never turned off, unless it unplugged of course. On your Wiimote, the power button actually puts your wii in standby mode. This is unless you turn off the Wiiconnect 24 option on the Menu, which will turn your Wii completely off, unable to recieve messages while you are not using it.
What happens when my Wii is in standby mode?
Nintendo programmed the Wii so when you have an internet connection ready to go, the Wii can receive messeges when in standby mode.
What are 'Channels'?
The Wii's interface is based on things called 'Channels'. Each channel serves a certain purpose. Some examples are the Disc Channel, Photo Channel, Mii Channel and Wii Shopping Channel.
What do these different channels do?
Each channel does the following..
- Disc Channel - The Disc Channel launches Wii game discs and Gamecube game discs.
- Mii Channel - The Mii channel allows you to create you're own 'Mii' character, which is usable in games such as Wii sports or Wii play.
- Photo Channel - The Photo Channel lets you view photos, videos. It also allows you to draw on these photos, add effects, play them backwards, turn them into puzzles, and listen to you're own music while viewing your photos in a slideshow.
- Shopping Channel - The Shopping Channel allows you to download classic games from the NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis and Turbo Graphix 16 using 'Wii Points'. The Shopping Channel also allows you to download 'Wii Ware', new channels or games that you may download to your Wii.
- Forecast Channel - The Forecast Channel allows weather reports and forecasts to be downloaded onto the console from the Internet via the WiiConnect24 service. The Forecast Channel displays a view of the Earth as a globe, with which users can view weather in other regions. The user can also spin the globe. When fully zoomed out, an accurate star map is visible in the background (the Big Dipper and Orion constellations are easily recognizable, for example). The forecast channel features include looking at the current forecast, the UV index, today's overall forecast, tomorrow's forecast, and a 5-day forecast. Certain games (like Madden NFL 07) can use the Forecast Channel to simulate weather conditions depending on the player's region.
- News Channel - The News Channel allows users to access news headlines and current events obtained from the Internet. News is available on a globe view, similar to the Forecast Channel, and headlines are also viewable as a slide show. The content is automatically updated and viewable via WiiConnect24. Clickable news images are supported, and the Channel's Operations Guide suggests that video and audio may be available in future. The news content is provided by the Associated Press, which has a 2 year contract with Nintendo.
- Everyone Votes Channel - The Everybody Votes Channel allows Wii owners to vote on various issues using their Mii as a registered voter. Additionally, voters can also make predictions for the choice that will be the most popular overall after their own vote has been cast. Each Mii's voting and prediction record is tracked and voters can also compare whether their beliefs are in line with those of the majority of voters. Whether the Mii is correct in it's predictions or not is displayed on a statistics page along with a counter of how many times that Mii has voted.
- Check Mii Out Channel - This channel allows you to create Miis and share them with users internationally. You can also participate in contests by entering one of your Miis. For example a contest may ask you to submit a Mii that looks like the tooth fairy. Then users vote for their favourite entry, and the results are posted later on.
Are there going to be any new channels added?
Yes. Nintendo has confirmed they will be periodically releasing new Channels for everyone to enjoy.
Will there eventually be original Wii games to download from the Shopping Channel?Yes. Nintendo has confirmed that original Wii content will be available on the Wii Shopping Channel. Nintendo has said that the first content will be available early 2008.
Are Virtual Console games their own channel?
Yes. When you download a VC game, they become their own channel on the main Wii menu.
What kind of save support does the Wii feature?
The Wii features 512MB of flash memory, and a Secure Digital (SD) card slot. It also features Gamecube memory card slots.
What are the specs?
The official Wii specs are as follows:
- 729 MHz IBM PowerPC "Broadway" CPU
- 24MBs "main" 1T-SRAM
- 512MBs internal flash memory
- Built-in 802.11b/g Wi-Fi capability
- AV multi-port: S-video, composite, component
- Four GameCube controller ports
- Two USB 2.0 ports
- Self-loading media drive
- 243 MHz ATI "Hollywood" GPU
- 64MBs other 1T-SRAM
- 3MBs texture memory on GPU
- One SD memory card bay
- Analog (left/right) audio / DPLII
- Two GameCube Memory Pak slots
- Compatible with up to four wireless Wii-motes
- Accepts 12cm Wii and 8cm GCN discs
How much does the Wii cost?
The Wii costs $249.99 USD ($279.99 CAN). The general consensus, judging by Nintendo's comments of a "quiet, affordable machine". Some stores in Canada have been marking up the price to $289.99 due to high demand, although the retail price is still $279.99.
What are these "modchips" and are they real?
A Modchip is a device used to circumvent the digital rights management of many popular game consoles for the purposes of playing backup, imported, pirated, or homebrew games and/or applications.
In a very short amount of time three mod chips for the Wii, were announced: The WiiNinja (announced on January 26th, 2007), the CycloWiz (January 29th, 2007), and, the WiiKey (February 2nd, 2007). All three are apparently 'very easy' to install and each are so far mainly for playing back-up and pirated copies of Wii and GameCube games, some boasting compatibility with GameCube homebrew. The CycloWiz and the WiiKey have both began shipping.
Is there a way to contact Nintendo to make requests for firmware updates?If you wish, you may email Nintendo with any suggestions about the Wii firmware, but it is unknown whether they will use your suggestions in an actual firmware update.
Which keyboards are known to work via USB on the Wii?
You can use any standard USB keyboard for typing within the main Wii menu, but not with the Internet Channel, thanks to a recent firmware update.
When will the Internet Channel get keyboard support?
Nintendo has not announced any support for keyboard support in the Internet Channel. It would not be surprising if they did choose to support it though.
How often does Nintendo release new channels?
Not very often. Since the launch, they have released just 5 new channels.
Last Updated: By whitehawk on Monday February 7th, 2008 - 5:02 PM