Ubisoft's Red Steel 2 apparently has a lot more going for it than just the addition of MotionPlus support. For starters, the game is more RPG-like than ever, complete with multiple paths, side quests, and some aspect of leveling your character up.
While it isn't a linear game, Red Steel 2 isn't quite an open world title either. There will be several hub-worlds to explore, and players can go back to areas they've visited before when they already have new powers and abilities.
In contrast to the original, Ubisoft is not giving Red Steel 2 a multiplayer aspect in order to "really focus on the core mechanic". There's still a chance that multiplayer would be added through DLC, though:
That would be cool. The world has changed, and we can do that sort of thing. I certainly think that would be cool. I d buy it. But we need to be careful bringing out something that people think should be in the main game.
Here's the rest of Red Steel 2's features. The game is currently tracking a Christmas 2009 release.
- gun and sword combos
- "RS2 is tightly focused on intensely physical first person sword fighting, with gunplay a secondary option"
- hold Z to lock onto enemy
- hold down C and swing to block, vertical and horizontal blocks
- switch lock-on at any time
- screen prompts you if you re being attacked from behind. Press A to quick-turn in this situation
- many enemies wear bulletproof armor
- "non-combat use of MotionPlus wont be limited to opening doors"
- boss fights
- production began last summer
- New Ghost Recon coming, Red Steel 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction slated for Christmas release
- Ubisoft confirms Red Steel 2