Lots of big news for this week's recap, so you'd better stay comfy. There's a hell lot of games coming to the Wii and DS in 2009, and we have news on the biggest that the two platforms are gonna get - whether they're the Pokemon remakes, Monster Hunter 3, and a bunch of retro WiiWare games, we've got ya covered. With a lot of games coming, it probably explains why the DS sold a million last April, so the new DS owners will have a lot to play and choose from. Quit wasting your time reading this babble, 'cause you're gonna read them again down below. Or not.
- Now that we know that Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver are making their way to the Nintendo DS, more info is coming in to keep the hype burning a la Charizard's tail. For starters, here's a vid on the remakes' gameplay. Link. Then Japanese mag CoroCoro provides additional details on the two remakes, although there's nothing in there yet about the rumored gender and breeding features. Link
- Okay, so Pokemon is so hot right now, but let's not forget about the other monsters to fit your pocket. I'm talking about Spore because Maxis is bringing a Spore title each to the Wii and the DS. Link
- Yep, lotsa games coming to the DS. To help you keep track of your future Nintendo purchases for the rest of the year, here's a list of the publisher's releases for Japan, US and Europe for 2009. Link. That list includes the Japanese release for Monster Hunter 3, but the US release still remains to be announced. Link. What they have announced for MH3 is that the Japan release is to come with bundles. Link
- These releases won't be on Nintendo's 2009 list, because these ones are from WayForward, and they're a whole bunch of retro games to be up for digital download on WiiWare. Link.
- Perhaps influenced by the coming remakes for Pokemon, or the fact that Nintendo is ramping up the juice for their handheld, the Nintendo DS sold a whopping 1 million units in the US just last April, selling more than all the other platforms combined. Link. But hold on, it doesn't stop there! Analyst firm iSuppli predicts that the DS and the PSP may ship a total of 63.5 million by 2013. Link.
- Having sold so well, the DS is also gonna get new anti-piracy technology come the holidays. Nintendo isn't sitting on its wealthy laurels, they want legit games on those DSs, and they're gonna do something new just to make sure. Link.
- Speaking of the piracy crackdown, Square Enix has put a stop to all fan-created projects relating to Chrono Trigger. Despite being a non-profit effort, all copies and forums related to ROM hacking and Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes has effectively been destroyed to avoid the litigation threat posed by the publisher. Link
- In a different side of the publisher-gamer relationship, Nintendo corporate affairs Denis Kaigler describes their relationship with the hardcore gamer, despite their reputation of catering to casual ones. Yes, they have a relationship with the hardcore gamer, and it's very different from the relationship that Square Enix has with the Chrono Trigger fans right now. Link
- In the lighter side of the news, there are some cool Mario hat cushions on Amazon right now. They're not hats, they're cushions that look like hats! But feel free to put one on your head anyway, but don't blame me if you look like a damn idiot doing so. Link
- Taking his usual spot at the Nintendo homebrew scene is the Wii homebrew superdev Waninkoko, who is back with yet another update to one of his numerous great apps for the Wii. This time, it's for the NAND Loader Injector and the Custom NAND Loader. Link
- Team Twiizers makes the second of only two notable brews this week, which makes me wonder what happened to all them devs? Where's wplaat? Hehehe. Anyway, Team Twiizers released the first public beta of BootMii, which can install the Homebrew Channel and DVDX on any Wii with any System Menu, hassle-free! Link
Whew. Now this is something you shouldn't do to your fingers everyday! That was a lot to type...kind of. Anyway, I hope your eyes aren't hurting as much as my fingers are, because there are a lot of other warriors on QJ that you might want to read as well.