If the Gay-dar rings, don't buy it. This is what the conservative Christian investment firm, The Timothy Plan, warns for parents planning to get games for their kids. Apart from the usual gaming no-no's, such as sex, violence, and substance abuse, the investment firm also flags games with homosexual content as inappropriate and unsafe for minors.
For this, The Timothy Plan hands out a list of the 30 "most offensive" games on the market. They maintain a "Do Not Buy List" for morally responsible consumers, against publishers that trade in abortion, porno, anti-family entertainment, and vices. They evaluate games on these eight categories: Sex, Nudity, Gay & Lesbian, Violence, Language, Drugs, Alcohol, and Game Addiction. They also specified if games have "demonic" content.
The usual suspects are all here: Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3) and Saint's Row 2 (Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3) (both of which have a check mark on seven of eight categories - even gay content), Fallout 3 (PS3, Xbox 360, PC), and Age of Conan and World of Warcraft to name a few. If they're such phobes about gay content, I'm surprised they didn't tag Manhunt 2 with a gay title.
They made a lot of comments that made me laugh, here are a few of my favorites:
- God of War II: "This game has a sex mini-game. During the "game," you press one of the four main PS2 buttons when indicated, which causes the women to moan louder, helping them reach climax." Now that's a detailed review!
- Saints Row 2: "Homosexual Encounters: ...Characters like Randy the Tranny were used in marketing the game."
- BioShock: "Strong Language: Strong profanity including the f-word , as well as numerous others we prefer to not include in this report." Wow, that's some hardcore swearing! Not to self: Get BioShock.
- Manhunt 2: "Strong Language: Strong Language: The game's first two words are "Holy F k."
- Blitz: The League II: "Suggestive Themes: Females appear in miniskirts with thong underwear only to be spanked by players during touchdown celebrations."
- Bully: Scholarship Edition: "Homosexual Encounters: Gay achievements such as over the rainbow can be reached on the Xbox 360 when you kiss 20 boys."
- Army of Two: Homosexual Encounters: (not mentioned): Somewhat homo-erotic undertones between the two main characters are present.
Well, I guess they're not looking forward to joining FLAG, but hey, this was worth a few laughs. If you wanna see the full pdf, just click on the source link below
More on censorship and game ratings:
- Porn game company to bypass ESRB, Sony, Ninty, MS; to create own adult game industry
- Parental advisory: 5 Best Kid Friendly Games '08
- Parental Advisory Group: MK vs. DC is family-friendly