This thread contains huge spoilers about the Bioshock game and some speculation with some unexplained things. Do not read on if you don't want the story spoilt.
I am not putting this post inside a spoiler as the title and above should be warning enough.
I've been thinking about this whole "would you kindly" thing in bioshock, in particular why Andrew Ryan knowing about the mind control doesn't simply say "Would you kindly not kill me?".
This is my theory on the game and possibly the only open point for DLC/sequel.
Before meeting Ryan:
- Ryan found out that Fontaine planned to dominate rapture.
- After finding this out he launched an elaborate scheme to bring you back to rapture to kill Fontaine.
- Ryan knows that Fontaine will be controlling you.
- Ryan also knows that Fontaine will send you to kill him.
Skip forward to where you meet Ryan
- Ryan spills the beans about Fontaine and so you obviously want to end the Mind Control and also end Fontaine.
- Ryan then lets you kill him, almost encouraging you to do it.
- You deactivate the Self Destruct
- After killing Ryan you then go on to free yourself from his control and then kill him.
- End of story. Fontaine and Ryan are dead. Right?
Ok so that's the story in the briefest possible way.
My speculation plays on the fact that Ryan let you kill him. I think he always intended this to happen right from the moment the plane crashed. I think he isn't dead at all. He let you beat him until he appeared to be dead (notice you couldn't search his body after he "died"?). You then deactivated the Self Destruct and "escaped" and then went on to kill Fontaine.
Ok all good so far. This is the total speculation part:
Ryan planned everything, and I mean everything. The fact that you killed him doesn't mean a thing, there are Vita-Chambers throughout Rapture remember? My theory is that yes you killed him but he was sent to a Vita Chamber and resurrected, he then waits it out while you go off to kill Fontaine (thinking that you're doing it without any direction from anyone).
So if Ryan is (possibly) still alive it leaves a small opening for a sequel or possible DLC where you return to Rapture to end Ryan once and for all.
Once again pure speculation. Discuss.