Remember this rumor? It got the date wrong, but I guess it wasn't such a failure after all. We've just gotten word that yes, the Dark Corners DLC for Gears of War 2 is real and it's heading to the Marketplace this July.
The Dark Corners DLC pack will add seven new maps and a deleted campaign mode chapter called "Road to Ruin" where Marcus and Dom pay a visit to the Locust Hollow. This one's apparently playable in a stealth mode, hence the Theron Guard duds in the pics above. All this will be available on July 28 for a whopping 1,600 MS Points (US 20). Here's a rundown of the new maps from Epic Games and Microsoft's joint press release:
Dark Corners will also be available on retail shelves in the Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection on the same day at the same price point. But -- and this is a rather big "but" -- the retail version will also come with ALL previously released Gears of War 2 DLC, a dashboard theme, a poster, and a strategy guide.
- Allfathers Garden: Honor the sacred grounds of the Coalition founders in this explosive map, where powerful weapons catalyze fast and furious action at this COG landmark.
- Memorial: Set near the Eternal Flame, which pays tribute to the fallen soldiers on the battlefield, a hard-fought battle ensues at the Tomb of Unknowns. Putting their flank formation and evasive skills to the test, players will fight to control the Boomshot.
- Sanctuary: Once a peaceful ground for reflection and remembrance, all that remains of the Sanctuary is the chill of death. Feast your eyes on the arsenal of weapons available as you make your way through the tight paths and blind corners of the Locust-damaged temple corridors.
- War Machine: In the abandoned train station that once served as a hub for travel, players will need to master the Longshot, Mulcher and Boomshot weapons to advance the fight while evading fire from the platforms above.
- Highway: Take the fight deep into the Locust Hollow in the complex passages of this underground highway system brimming with enemy vermin. Stick together, separate the enemy and have an exit strategy ready or it'll be a one-way trip.
- Way Station: Sitting in limbo between death and "processing" are Locust way stations filled with fallen COG soldiers. Tread lightly and practice patience as it's better to sacrifice firepower for stealth while navigating this minefield of hidden grenades.
- Nowhere: Set in the middle of what was once a destination for weary desert travellers, the land is now barren and devoid of life. Pick off your enemies with the Longshot sniper rifle and make your way to the stairwell with a well-fortified team during this intense firefight.
- Next Gears of War 2 DLC will depend on reaction to Snowblind
- Rumor: Gears of War 2 getting Dark Corners DLC after Snowblind?